INVITATION TO THE GENDER FORUM
TOPIC: THE FIGHT AGAINST FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION IN KENYA: WHAT MORE NEEDS TO BE DONE
On Thursday, 26th February 2015
At the Nairobi Safari Club, University Way, Nairobi
From 4.00 pm to 6.30 pm
The International Day of zero tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) was marked on 6th February 2015. This commemoration seeks to accelerate the fight towards ending FGM. In Kenya, the practice still continues despite legislation i.e. the Prohibition of Female Genital Mutilation Act 2011 and numerous interventions by both government and civil society to end this practice.
The gender forum seeks to explore:
- The cultural and socio-political barriers towards elimination of FGM;
- The effectiveness of the legal framework working towards abolition of the cut;
- New directions/ initiatives in the fight against FGM;
- What more needs to be done?
- Hon. Senator, Naisula Lesuuda - Naisula Lesuuda Peace Initiative
- Hon. Tiyah Galgalo Women Representative, Isiolo County
- Dr. Tammary Esho Sexual Medicine Expert (Africa Coordinating Centre for the Abandonment of FGM)
- Ms. Veronica Lekopole Centre for Advocacy and Gender Equity
- Hon. Dr. Linah Jebii Kilimo - Anti Female Genital Mutilation Board
About the Gender Forum
The Gender Forum is a monthly public dialogue convened by the Heinrich B�ll Stiftung since 2001, facilitating dialogue on pertinent national social issues with a gendered lens. It brings together scholars, law makers and implementers, civil activists, government institutions, students and the general public, aiming at increasing knowledge and effectiveness of policy and programmes. The forum is convened in Nairobi, in Kisumu (in conjunction with Kenya Female Advisory Organisation KEFEADO) and it travels around Kenya in response to County interests.
Follow the conversation on Twitter: @HbsNairobi #genderforum #FGM2015
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/hbsNairobi
Heinrich Böll Stiftung
East and Horn of Africa Regional Office
Forest Road, P.O. Box 10799-00100 GPO, Nairobi, Kenya
T +254 (0)20 2680745 | 2613992 | 2613997